Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Make A Stargazer

Let your stars shine bright, day or night!

American Girls are my heros. In a society where young girls are sexualized, I'm happy to support things that let girls be girls. American Girls, Holly Hobbie, Strawberry Shortcake are some of my favorite characters. At the moment Chloe loves to read the American Girl Short Stories before bed. At the end of each book there's a how-to craft. In Molly Takes Flight we learned how to make a stargazer. This was an excellent craft to do with a 5-year-old and a 3-year-old. It was fast, fun, open to interpretation and educational.

You will need:

Round oatmeal container
Wax paper
Pencil
Scissors
Picture of a constellation (Wikipedia)
Tape
Nail
Hammer
Black marker
Construction paper
Markers, stickers (optional)

1. Remove the lid from the container. Place the end of the container on the wax paper, and trace around the container with the pencil. Cut out the circle.

2. Choose a constellation. Put the paper circle over the map. Draw dots for the stars in the constellation.

3. Turn over the paper circle so you see the reverse of the constellation. Place the circle over the closed end of the container. Tape down the edges. Ask an adult to help you use the hammer and nail to punch holes through the stars.

4. Remove the paper circle. Color the outside end of the container with the black marker.

5. Cover the outside of the container with construction paper, and decorate it with anything you wish.

6. To view your constellation, face a window or a light source, and hold the viewer up to your eye. You'll see stars!


2 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

These are the girls I tended today. They are creative thinkers.
I commented that their eyes were blue.
C (5 years old): "Your eyes are green. Kind of piney green."
J (3 years old): "Yeah. Kind of like the top of a pineapple."

Me, singing "Rock a Bye Baby": Down will come baby, cradle and all."
J: That's a really weird song.

(Now that I think about it, it is pretty weird.)

kelly said...

i too love the american girls! My mom, kerry and I just were just talking about this a couple of weeks ago. The AG books were always favorites, but I was just a bit too old for it, when the dolls came out. I can't wait for a little girl to share it with!