Nap time used to be so wonderful. I had about 3 hours to myself while everyone was quiet. I could actually be productive and have a little time to relax. Now that the kids are a little older, naps are out of the question if they're going to fall asleep at a reasonable hour of the night. Rest time is not quite the same as nap time, but I still claim that time for myself. I can hear Ashley talking and crying in her crib (if she doesn't fall asleep in an hour I might go check on her). Chloe has turned the volume down on our digital piano and is making up tunes and adds the constant "ting" of the metranome to her composition. Jessica is playing in her room nicely until she remembers she needs to wash her hands and get a drink, then the sink is her playtoy. But I'll clean that up later. As long as they are occupied I will sit on my bed, use the phone, surf the net, blog, and maybe read. The minute I put a foot on the floor the kids will sense it and rush in anxious for my attention. So I'll sit atop my island in the middle of chaos and breathe, think and dream.
Monday, February 26, 2007
Rest Time
Nap time used to be so wonderful. I had about 3 hours to myself while everyone was quiet. I could actually be productive and have a little time to relax. Now that the kids are a little older, naps are out of the question if they're going to fall asleep at a reasonable hour of the night. Rest time is not quite the same as nap time, but I still claim that time for myself. I can hear Ashley talking and crying in her crib (if she doesn't fall asleep in an hour I might go check on her). Chloe has turned the volume down on our digital piano and is making up tunes and adds the constant "ting" of the metranome to her composition. Jessica is playing in her room nicely until she remembers she needs to wash her hands and get a drink, then the sink is her playtoy. But I'll clean that up later. As long as they are occupied I will sit on my bed, use the phone, surf the net, blog, and maybe read. The minute I put a foot on the floor the kids will sense it and rush in anxious for my attention. So I'll sit atop my island in the middle of chaos and breathe, think and dream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I can just picture the three little sistas listening for the creak of floor boards. Kids have a great ability of keeping track of their parents, making sure you don't waste too much time on something that isn't them!
Thought of turning on a white noise machine and taking a nap while on your aisle of contentment? Just kidding. This is why being a stay-at-home mom of young children is the toughest job. It's a good thing that they're so cute and say "I love you" every once in a while...
Post a Comment