Friday, March 28, 2008

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Swimsuit season is coming! And I am literally running (ellipticalling) for my life. My New Year's Resolutions included beginning a consistant exercise routine so as to shed unwanted pounds. I have a wonderful husband who knows there is no way I can run on a treadmill being top heavy and all, so he purchased an elliptical instead. This contraption has become one of my best friends. It has various workouts for different levels (I can proudly say that I have surpassed the beginners level). It's very comfortable to use. It has a built in fan for my sweaty face. It has TWO cup holders. And, best of all, a ledge to hold my reading book!

The first step I took in my resolution was to create a habit. I knew if I began with a workout that was too hard, I would quit quickly. I decided to start with a 20 minute, easy workout that allowed me to read the Twilight series while exercising. I had to limit myself to only reading while working out to keep up my motivation. After about a month of this program, I moved on to adding weight training after 20 minutes of elliptical every weekday. I've now gotten to the point where I can exercise on the elliptical for 30 minutes at a faster pace and work a different muscle group every day.

I have really surprised myself in how much I enjoy the workout. I miss it on the weekends! What a great sign. I am very proud of myself. In my adult life I have never enjoyed doing strenuous exercise. After having three children and gaining a lot of weight I would go through bouts of lost self esteem. I didn't think I would ever find a way to lose the baby fat. I honestly didn't do much about my situation, just sulked a lot. I got really sick of feeling that way. I also realized that my girlies needed a good example of healthy living.

Now, you might think the pounds have just melted off my tummy and cheeks. Alas, no such luck. I have lost a pant size, which is good, but I expected a miracle in the first three months. However, I know I will see results gradually if I keep up on this new healthy lifestyle. The most important thing is that I have truly begun! No matter what size I am this summer, I am going to be so proud to go to the pool. I feel better about myself. I am a lot more confident and I can tell I am physically stronger. I have a lot more energy too.

9 comments:

Lisa Cannon said...

Good for you, great that you've lost a pant siza!! It is so hard for me to exercise, so hard to find the time. Every year I do the same thing and want to get swim suit ready, but I'm too lazy.

Mark's lost all of his weight by only watching what he eats, limiting his caloric intake to only around 1500 calories. With him being on that strict of a diet, I've lost 10 pounds. YAHOO! Now I just need to tone up, but that would require going to the gym. You would think our $100 monthly gym due would motivate me - but NO!

Robin said...

I have always thought you were so beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing! But you inspire me! I too need to start an exercise routine. I just need to get to it! Congrats!

Marianne said...

If nothing else, I always tell Britt exercise is like my daily anti-depressant. It totally changes my outlook to positive. You look great! Congrats on the dress size. I've just decided that I will never wear a bathing suit without a pair of long board shorts and that's solved all my problems. Maybe after my next child it will be board shorts and a t-shirt!

Kirkland's said...

It's amazing how weight affects us, I too have lamented over my body since I had a baby. Never lost all the baby fat and now I have compounded it with baby #2. I am so proud of you for having a healthy lifestyle, that's what it's all about. I am REALLY determined this time to get back feeling good about myself! Good luck to us, we deserve the best!

Travelin'Oma said...

What great results! I'm impressed with your stick-to-it-ivness.

I loved Sco's comment on my blog. It's funny how I get thinking on some subject and my mind just goes one direction. I like having it pulled back to the beginning of my "thought path" again so I can see a different perspective. Of course, I totally agree with him. I would have reacted differently if my kids had made unexpected choices, and I'm not sure I would have been as graceful and supportive as a lot of my friends have been in those circumstances. And none of us are finished yet. We will all have some situations to face that will be challenging.

Jake said...

Yay, Nimmy! Even if we are never a size 2, exercise just makes us feel skinnier and healthier! Good for you!

Becky, yep said...

Hi Amy...I'm in with the exercisin' too, as you just read.
This is my second and last tattoo! It's fun, just a bit off for me...my Mom goes thru the roof!
Oh well, sure hope you'll come to our next dinner! does Lisa have your email?
Hope to see you soon!
Becky

Aimee said...

Amy,

Congratulations! I hope this doesn't stop you from eating vanilla ice cream with Leatherby's hot fudge while we watch American Idol together!!

Jaden said...

You go girl!!!!!!! :)