Cooly getting on the Metro at the airport, I felt so urban! We had to laugh when we realized we were going the wrong way, however. And then, when we finally reached the right destination, we came out the wrong exit only to find that we had to walk a bit farther to our hotel. It was all in the hands of Fate, since the H&M resided next to our far-reaching Metro exit! That became my beacon, my landmark to navigate downtown DC. . .until I realized how close our hotel was to the National Gallery of Art! That was my reason for coming, that was my mecca!

That first night in DC was so exciting. Sco and I dropped our bags in our beautiful hotel room and then rushed out into the cold to find our way to the National Portrait Gallery before it closed! On our way we walked past H&M. The Portrait Gallery proved to be quite a gem. Tucked inside a building that was used by Walt Whitman and others to nurse Civil War soldiers back to health, the Portrait Gallery housed some very historically rich paintings. Stuart's unfinished George Washington portrait, Peale's collection of dignitaries, and even photographs of Abe Lincoln. We had so much fun wandering until it was closing time. And then on to supper. We found the M&S Grill as we passed H&M. We split some roast with veggies, a salad and had just enough room to squeeze in some apple pie with cinnamon ice cream. Rolling back to the hotel we were happy.

The next morning, Sco kissed me goodbye on his way out to his day of meetings. I didn't even take a shower, I was that eager to hit the town. Since H&M wasn't open yet and I had a few hours until my sis arrived in town, I tramped up and down the town methodically to become more familiar with this fair city. Wow, the ornate buildings tucked among glass modernity truly gave you the feel of treasuring the past while moving forward. Obama t-shirts were on every street corner while McCain was on the sale rack. And the conservative style of the pedestrians made me feel the grandeur of this place.

A message from my sis had me scampering past H&M, which securely lead me back to JW. Anxiously I waited for Gabi's smiling face. Hugs and compliments accompanied by giggles carried us out the door. First stop, you guessed it, H&M. I've never experienced the $5 rack or the cute & cheap accessories. It was truly fabulous. Then we lunched at Old Ebbits Grill. Yum! We skipped dessert because we had gobbled up way too much food. Talking, catching up, and laughing were the secret ingredients to this feast. We realized that we hadn't been able to hang out like that, sans kids, spouses & siblings since Washington DC in July 1998! Ten years have flown by and here we were again. Washington DC has become our meeting spot. I just hope ten more years don't elapse before we do that again. Hugging goodbye is always bittersweet when you're not sure when you'll see each other again. I love you, Gabi! Thanks for making the trek to spend a few hours with your little sis!

Off I hurried because I had more sights to check off my list. I took the Metro with determination to reach my destination with one try. Union Station wasn't hard to get to at all. I crossed the street to the Postal Museum. The displays and content there made me wish I had my children with me. There was so much for little minds to take in. Going into the gift shop reminded me of my mom and dad and their relationship with stamps, post boxes & letter heads. I wanted to buy everything for them, but then remembered that they already bought these things for themselves!
When I got back to JW, Sco's work clothes were lying on the bed. I had missed him! He had come to change into his casual wear and jogged down to the National Archives with a fellow Tanner man. He jogged back when they were through and I insisted on taking Sco to Old Ebbits for dinner. He just had to see this place! With $17 lobster and pasta with ham and cream sauce, we were fed well. For dessert, Walnut Chocolate Chip pie. Good bye diet! I figured I had walked enough that day that my metabolism was burning up everything before it hit my stomach. Wishful thinking?
The next morning, I was hoping to hop out of bed running. My feet and calves ordered me to take a slower pace. I had only one goal in mind and I had a whole day to accomplish it: See everything in the National Gallery of Art. I have been having a love affair with this place even before I had set eyes on it. Being an Art HIstory major at BYU, many of slides I studied gave credit to the National Gallery. With no marriage prospects in sight, my goal was to work in this institution. Docent, curator, janitor, I didn't care, as long as I got to work among the masters. I never arrived at that goal, visiting there is my solace. Last time I went (10 years ago) I was giddy at the sight of the Impressionists and Jan Vermeer works. This time I visited these old friends, but found new energy in a room of Calder mobiles and Rothko colors. Spending 4 hours in those hallowed halls filled my brain, emptied my wallet, took my breath away, and left my feet sore. So I spent the last of my time people watching and reading while waiting for Sco.


I got his call and dragged my way over to the American History Museum. Friday was it's grand reopening after years of refurbishment. I was honored to see the Star Spangled Banner in its new display. Sco and I got a chuckle seeing Jerry's "puffy shirt", the ruby slippers and Kermit the Frog. After that, I was done and done. I freed Scott to explore on his own while I sat and watched R2D2, Annie Oakley, and George Washington greet guests in the main lobby.
Forgetting all pain in my legs, I kept up with Sco as we raced to the airport. I was looking forward to another 4 hours in heaven as we flew into the night. I don't think I could have kept up the same pace another day in DC. I was excited to see my girlies and be able to slow my physical pace down a bit. We had a great weekend filling each other in on the last few days. Chloe had lost a tooth. Ashley had a Thanksgiving dinner at preschool. And Jessica discovered she was ready for chapter books. They had been well taken care of by grandparents. Thanks Mom, Dad, Jim & Janice!
7 comments:
You crammed in so much in such a short period of time. It is amazing what we can do without kids! I'm so glad that you were able to get a way and see some great sights.
Nim, Did you stay at the JW Marriott? That's where we stayed! I even saw Old Ebbit's and the H&M. (Didn't go in, though.) I am seriously so jealous that you got to see the Museum of American History! It was still closed when we were there and it is my favorite Smithsonian. You lucky!!
WOW Amy! What a fabulous trip! How exciting that you saw so many beloved art pieces...and that you got to see the Star Spangled Banner; (that was touching to me) as well as the photograph of Abraham Lincoln. Glad you are home and glad you had a great time.
Thanks for providing an excuse for a perfect mid-week getaway. Let's meet again soon!!
Amy- what a fun trip! Isn't it nice to get away for a little bit. It sounds like you had such a good time! It has been so long since I have seen you...since the pool is closed and all! Let's get together soon!
Emily LaTour
Washington DC was designed for a girl like you! All the art and architecture just waiting to be appreciated and noticed in detail. I'm so glad you got to go!
What a great trip. I have been to that museum and loved it! The food sounds incredible! I have never been to H&M and have only heard good things. Is it ever coming to UT?
Post a Comment