Thursday, December 25, 2014

A Week to Remember


This week has been absolutely fantastic.  The pressure of having a perfect Christmas came to a boiling point last week.  After a good cry & rant session, I was over it.  I had prepared well for Christmas Day and I knew I didn't have to buckle under the pressure to make things perfect.  I stopped looking at Pinterest & I stopped comparing myself & my Christmas ideas to those around me.  That alone helped me get more into the Christmas Spirit.  No longer was I trying to please or fit into a mold.  I was focused on my family, on Christ & on the meaning of the season.

On Monday, we had a surprise party for Sco's 40th birthday.  It was such a positive, loving evening.  Those that love Sco most came & celebrated with us.  There was no pretense.  There was no desire to impress.  It was just a simple party to celebrate Sco & what he means to us all.  There was dancing, toasting, eating & laughing.

On Tuesday, we met the Sorensons for iceskating.  I had hurt my knee dancing the night before, so Meredith & I sat on the side lines talking while our girlies skated together.  It felt so good to be with close friends & feel so relaxed.

On Wednesday, we baked candy cane cookies (that turned out to be pretty gross) that looked so darling.  We laughed our way through watching The Muppets Christmas Carol.  We went ice skating as a family.  This year it was just wonderful to skate as a family.  All three girls know how to skate pretty well, so there was no stress about teaching anyone or sitting out with a discouraged child.  Sco & I even got to do a few rounds of couple skating.  He's my favorite person to be with!  We then went to Jim & Janice's to celebrate Christmas Eve.  We took our annual family picture in our pajamas.  We ate Andy's famous tomato & basil soup and too many rolls with some incredible jam that Sco picked up from Amour.  Unfortunately, we decided to watch Christmas Vacation that night.  Don't get me wrong, I think that's a hilarious show.  It just wasn't the right one to help us feel the Spirit of Christmas.  Oh well!

This morning, Sco woke up at 7:00 & woke us all up to see what Santa brought & to open presents.  Santa brought the family a small ping-pong table.  Each girl was delighted with what they each received.  Sco gave me a beautiful little golden heart pendant with three diamonds to represent each of our daughters.  He also surprised me with a new Tivo so I can record my favorite shows & a new, gorgeous guitar.  He really went all out.  It made me feel to loved & special.  I love it that he knows me so well!  It was such a pleasant day.  Jim, Janice & Ro stopped by to see what the girls got & to play around a bit.  We spent all day playing with new toys, games & just relaxing.  I had put a couple of turkey breasts in then crockpot & some ingredients in the bread maker, so I wasn't even stressed about dinner!  We started playing a new card game that Sco got called "Sushi, Go!"  It was very addicting & was a perfect game for our whole family.  Jess became a ping-pong wizard by the time Oma & Opa arrived for dinner.  It was so delightful to watch her & Opa play together.

I have truly felt the Spirit of Christmas throughout December.  I feel it today, which for a busy mom is a miracle!  I know it's because I have made an effort to reflect on Christ, His gospel & His example.  I have made it a point to worship Him through playing Christmas music on the piano, spreading Christmas cheer in my calling & to my neighbors.  We've served loved ones by watching their kids, delivering gifts & spending time together.

It's been a fulfilling season.  There have been many previous years when I have felt very empty after all the gifts have been unwrapped & Christmas Day is over.  This year has been different.  I want to continue with this new pattern.  I know I feel more fulfilled because I have spent more time in quiet reflection & also more time being present in the lives of those who mean the most to me, instead of focusing so much of my effort on the outward appearances of a "successful" Christmas that would look good on Instagram.  I'm thankful for this lesson I've learned.

I'm thankful for such a sweet little family that Sco & I have created.  I'm thankful for my loving, doting husband who supports me in my efforts as a mother.  I am thankful for my beautiful, bright daughters.  Their individual personalities are so delightful (even when they are exasperating).  I love watching them grow into such lovely young ladies & develop such strong bonds as sisters.

I'm thankful for Jesus Christ.  I have felt the Holy Ghost testify to me many times this December that Christ really did come to earth to prepare the way for us.  I know He is my Savior.  I feel so peaceful & so confident with this knowledge.


No comments: