Friday, February 15, 2008

Bunnies on the Brain

So Jessica is my animal lover. She wants a pet so bad. She's insisting that she needs a bunny. Being a little delirious with cabin fever I almost caved in the other day. I knew of a girl who owned a rabbit and kept the cage in her room. This perfect bunny was litter box trained and was sweet when you'd hold her in your lap. I figured this was the perfect pet, and since we don't have a newborn around anymore I thought I was up to the challenge. That, however, was until I actually started reading about bunnies. They have their "chewing stage" for a few years when they will nibble everything plus all your power cords. They need 30 hours of exercise in a week so they need to roam free for a few hours a day. I'm not ready to baby proof my house again. I'm not ready to stay home to watch the bunny hop. Then I read something that really killed the idea once and for all. Bunnies groom themselve just like cats, however they are unable to cough up their hair balls. In a heavy "moulting season" many bunnies have been known to die because they are so clogged with hair. The experts recommend that you give your bunny lubricating laxitives two times a day during this time. I'm not ready for that kind of commitment. Sorry, Jess!

3 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

I don't think I'd do this for my own kids, let alone a pet!

Robin said...

I would have to agree! I had two bunnies growing up and they had to stay outside! They would roam around and we could never find them. Then they would bite and scratch us. Not the best idea!

Jake said...

I know...there are cute little bunnies for sale at the farmer's market and every Easter i am tempted!! but this is scary!

We do have wild bunnies in our yard and last year the kids found a "nest" of babies in the lawn. We think a bird came and ate them in the night...it was a circle of life learning experience.

My kids want a pet too. It will take a lot of fasting and prayer....