Friday, February 5, 2010

Movies To Warm Your Heart This Winter

My sister, Gabi, is having a snow day, complete with hot chocolate and a costume drama. Two movies came to mind when I read this: Emma and Cranford. Both have been featured on Masterpiece Theatre in the past month and I've been in heaven!

My review on Cranford:
This mini-series is compilation of the various stories and characters featured in Elizabeth Gaskell's three novels, Cranford, My Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions. With Dame Judy leading the way, this show has great performances, depth and quality that we all expect from the BBC. The story lines and characters are quirky. The costumes and hairdos are fantastic. And the chemistry is palpable! I love the small details in country living. The matriarchal society full of gossip and silliness is enchanting. I found the contrast between tradition and progress very interesting. This country town fought the coming of the railroad because they liked a slow-paced lifestyle, but they all lined up to be treated by the new young doctor and his progressive medicine (and his good looks I'm sure).

I highly recommend traveling to Cranford. You might even decide to stay a while.




My review on Emma:
Nothing against Gwenyth Paltrow's Emma, but I've found a replacement for her. Romola Garai has brought something new to this classic Austen character. I'm sure it has something to do with amount of time this mini-series gives to develop her character. Romola's performance is a delight to watch. She's fresh with real emotions of regret, genuine good-will and pettiness that one might develop if never allowed a life of her own. And who could forget Mr. Knightly? In this version, he is played by one of my favorite actors, Johnny Lee Miller.

I discovered this yummy man while watching Eli Stone. I have to be honest, I haven't seen any of the other movies he's been in, but Eli Stone was enough for me to become a devoted fan. In Emma, Miller plays Knightly evolving from brother figure/friend to lover seamlessly. It's his slight changes of expression while standing in the background that are so fun to watch. You're not sure at what point he falls in love with his young friend so you're on the edge of the couch the whole time. At the end of each hour-long episode of Emma I turned to Sco with a squeal of excitement and a heart that is mush. Living vicariously through these characters, I am taken back to the time when Scott and I fell in love. It is a perfect show to watch just before Valentine's Day. The series goes on sale February 9th and will be on my shelf February 10th. Who wants to have a movie marathon with me?

4 comments:

Sco said...

It's pretty cool to know that Johnny Lee Miller / Mr. Knightly got all his moves from me. So my Valentines to you, Amy, is me. Happy Valentines, honey! (And I have no need to watch myself in your movie marathon...)

melissa walker said...

I love when Masterpiece classic comes on! I read Cranford but haven't watched it, so I am anxious to see it! I love Jonny Lee Miller too--he plays Captain Wentworth in the Persuasion that will be on in this series!

Kimberly said...

Oooohh thanks for the great info! You'll have to give me the details on Masterpiece Theater next time I see you.

Green Nerd said...

I am also a huge fan. I was first introduced to Johnny Lee Miller in the 1999 adaption of Mansfield Park. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing him play the part of Mr. Darcy one of these days. I think he should play all of the leading men in all six of the Jane Austen films.