When I was 14 years old I started thinking about my future husband. I became obsessed (surprise, surprise) with the idea that I might never get married. {A really smart kid also attended Butler Middle School at the same time.}To comfort myself I started to pray for my future husband every once in a while. I met a lot of guys and hoped that each one might be the ONE. In highschool I scanned the halls for the man of my dreams. {That smart kid from Butler was in my AP History class.}
BYU seemed like the only option for me, since that institution provided my mom and sister with their husbands. {Eating my first dinner at the Morris Center was lonely until I was asked by a fellow Bengal and his parents to join them.}
Nearing 21 years old, I was DESPERATE, and would date anyone. I knew that if I went on a mission, I would miss my chance to find my husband at BYU. {That cute fellow Cougar was on his mission at the time.}
I prayed that I wouldn't miss him. On my mission I had an 18 month hiatus from my obsession (what a relief)! After my mission I divided my time between scouring the University of Utah Institute {he was too busy to be there}, BYU Art History Department {that fellow student was in his master's program in the Tanner building}, and my Wasatch Stake Singles ward.
I felt like an old maid as the years continued to pass {from the halls of Butler, Brighton, and BYU, that smart man was now working for KPMG}. At only 24 years old I was beginning to accept that my worst fear might actually come true, until one day in September. . . At church, I heard the sweetest words from a smart, accomplished newcomer to the singles ward. . . "I have a boat that I could bring to the ward activity." My mind raced through all the times I had run into this guy. I said, "Hey, I know you! You're Scott Robinson, right? Welcome to the singles ward." {In other words, WELCOME TO MY LIFE.} It didn't take long for us to recognize that we were meant for each other. He had been the right person all along and now was the right time, FINALLY!
Over the years I have come to appreciate that the Lord was listening to me the whole time. He understood the silly fears of a 14 year old girl {I was blessed with a wise mom},
the smitten cluelessness of a 16 year old student {I was blessed with good friends and lots of fun activities},
the high hopes of an 18 year old co-ed {I was blessed with an opportunity for a great education},the heart break of a 20 year old {I was blessed with comfort},
and the lonliness of a 22 year old returned missionary {I was blessed with wisdom and inspiration}.
This doesn't always happen, but while the Lord was blessing me throughout the years, my future husband was living a life parallel to mine. I've known Scott since I was 14. We had friends, classes, schools, and a stake in common! That's the sweetest and perfect answer to my girlish prayer. I have a great belief in President Hinckley's advice to marry "the right person, in the right place, AT THE RIGHT TIME." I'm so thankful that the right time finally came for me. I have been blessed with a wonderful life because I finally trusted the Lord.
6 comments:
Happy 7 years! You have always been an inspiration to me!
Hey Amy, you may not remember me--I found your blog because I VT Josette Ballou and she filled me in on your family's love of blogs. It has been so fun to see what's going on with you all! Happy Anniversary! You always were an inspiration to me!
Missy Bunting Walker
Oh--I blog too at walkerhome.blogspot.com We'll have to catch up!
congrats on 7 great years...you are the cutest couple and a perfect match!
You've done great things in just 7 years! Congratulations!
happy anniversary to a sparkling couple!! with three little gems in tow, you have turned your yearts together into a jewelry chest.
Hey! Can you show me how to make my own blog? How fun! Britt and I just celebrated 7 years in May! I love everything on your blog. You are such an interesting person and I envy the joy you have for life. Happy 7 years and nothing but best wishes for the next 7 for both of us!
Post a Comment