Early each day to the steps of Saint Paul's
The little old bird woman comes.
In her own special way to the people she calls,
"Come, buy my bags full of crumbs.
Come feed the little birds, show them you care
And you'll be glad if you do.
Their young ones are hungry,
Their nests are so bare;
All it takes is tuppence from you."
Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag.
"Feed the birds," that's what she cries,
While overhead, her birds fill the skies.
All around the cathedral the saints and apostles
Look down as she sells her wares.
Although you can't see it, you know they are smiling
Each time someone shows that he cares.
Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she's calling to you:
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."
Like Michael & Jane Banks' father, I have been missing a lot of beauty and joy as I have kept my head down working through the hustle and bustle of each day. I definitely haven't been feeding my three little birds. During this busy season as a CPA's wife I have felt like I have just been plowing through and the tunnel won't end until May. It's ok. This isn't to be a pity-me post. It's more of a wake-up call to myself.
I wake up around 7 am. Feed the kids. Soak the oatmeal bowls. Exercise. Hound my kids to make their beds and get dressed. I watch them practice their musical instruments. I lock them out of my room while I take a frenzied shower. I try and clean up, but then it's time for lunch. I do everyone's hair while they are eating (so that they can't run away). I herd everyone into the van so we can get Chloe to Kindergarten. When we get home, I am ready for a break, but my other two girls are ready for me to play. Sometimes I can sneak away after engaging my children in a computer game or a show. Each afternoon is a balance between giving attention to my kids and cleaning up my house. It's always a struggle.
Usually I feel like I'm in limbo: listening to my arguing kiddos while my mind is on my to-do list and my body is in a stagnant position between both. By the time Chloe comes home I haven't received the down time I feel I deserve so I fight for it in the afternoon. Dinner is never ready when I should have it ready (or if it is ready nobody wants to eat what I've fixed). Kids are grumpy, hungry and tired. It always feels like a snail-paced race to bedtime. I'm frantic trying to bathe, feed and engage my children but bedtime never comes soon enough. When they are in bed at 8:00 I start to decompress. However, my house is still not picked up, the oatmeal bowls are still soaking, so my mind and my body begin another struggle. By the end of a few TV shows I pick up the mess that is my house and then wait for sleep to catch me. My favorite thing right now is to fall asleep in my clothes on the couch either watching TV or reading a book. However, with this new love come late nights and tired mornings.
7 comments:
What a great post! This is why you NEED to come to our next girls night!
I don't know if you read my birthday post, but this is EXACTLY how I've been feeling! I don't know if its the third child or me on burn out. But I too feel that my priorities are all wrong.
I sure hope you get some great advice/insite here that I can just adapt! Thank you for saying that so eloquently! You are NOT ALONE!
We had some baby birds on our deck last year, and they had a very attentive mama bird. She fed them, watched them and cooed to them...for about three weeks. Then she was done. Off she went!
The problem (and the good thing) about your little chicks is that they will be around for lots of years. Sometimes you are full of ideas, and other times you are exhausted, so they have an opportunity to develop independence.
Don't worry while you wait for nature to restore your energy and enthusiasm for motherhood. It will come back. Suddenly you'll be in the mood to be the supermom again. In the mean time, the kids are fine as long as you feed them.
I totally agree with Becky. I feel the same way. I feel that everything needs to be perfect, why can't I just relax and let my kids be kids?
Life is so busy! I need to just stop and smell the roses and enjoy my cute little family. You should definately come to dinner with us. I need your email so I can send you an invite. lisaah@juno.com
Have a great weekend - tax season is almost over!
I love Travin Oma's response.
I feel like that too. Being a mom sometimes seems like A LOT of work, doesn't it? I'd still pick it over anything else.
I just keep telling myself someday I'll be able to have a clean house again. =) And I'll just block out how messy it was in my mind. You are such a good mom, Amy!
Amy- Your kids are amazing, well rounded, and happy. I'd say you are feeding them pretty darn well. I hope you know how wonderful you truly are!
I think you need to watch a little more American Idol and eat a little more ice cream. There is no problem that ice cream can't solve!
Phew! You're almost normal! Love your Mom's advice (I think she's your Mom). I certainly go through phases of spending lots of quality time with my boys and then phases of being incredibly DISTRACTED by just about everything. You are such a gream mom and an inspiration for all of us!
Post a Comment