Friday, February 1, 2008

Ying xiong

Not many people know this about me, but I adore foreign martial arts films. Actually let me broaden the genre to include most Japanese and Chinese foreign films. It all started at BYU when I was hanging out with a guy who had spoken Mandarin on his mission. He would bring over the early Jackie Chan movies and we would laugh at the over dramatization. However, the choreography of the fight scenes always kept my attention. So then I became a small fan of Jackie Chan's americanized films (Rush Hour 2 is awesome). Then I met Scott and watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The director was Ang Lee (of Sense and Sensibility fame) so I had to see it. I didn't understand all the floating and hanging in the air action until Scott told me a bit about Chinese legends. After getting over that hurtle, that movie became one of my absolute favorites. Now my list of favorites also includes:
  • The Road Home
  • House of Flying Daggers
  • Iron Monkey
  • King of Masks
  • Raise the Red Lantern (for aesthetic reasons only)
Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

4 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

Karate Kid??

Kimberly said...

Foreign martial arts...Wow! Who knew? Thanks for sharing this cute blog. I enjoyed reading about your adorable family.

Jake said...

i have no idea...this is completely not my genre.

michele84084 said...

Amy,

Have you seen Hero? It is one of my favs. Make sure you get the one with English subtitles and not the dubbed (I HATE English voice overs on foreign films.) Each section of the story is filmed in a different color tone. It's just beautiful!

Michele :)