Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Mary Blair

I have been a big fan of Mary Blair for many years, and I didn't even know it! We have a board book called I Can Fly by Ruth Krauss. I was drawn to it because of the illustration style. I had never heard of Mary Blair, but thought her style was whimsical.

I just did a little research on her after reading I Can Fly to Ashley the other night. No wonder I love her! She had a great collaboration going with Walt Disney. She was the artistic genius behind Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Cinderella and It's a Small World. Her sketches of these famous Disney icons are a little different from their on-screen appearance. I prefer her sketches to the end products. If you want to learn more about her click here.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I learned all about Mary Blair watching the extras on the Cinderella CD. I, too, was quite interested in her. Check it out.
Heed

marta said...

nim, you really are the master at this kind of thing. i'm impressed at the quaint, talented, adorable artists you know about.

someday you could teach your own art history class..

Travelin'Oma said...

This could be your art history class and we could be your students!